Darkstar Molten Metals + WIP

Hello again,

I've been thinking a lot about how I want my content to look and what kind of things I'm most interested in and want to share. I don't want to flood the feed with WIP but I also don't want to have weeks at a time without content. My greatest love so far is experimenting with different products and I believe that's the answer to my predicament, my aim will be to review and discuss products that I'm currently toying with while showing you how I'm applying them to my projects.

So without further adue I'd like to start this new series of laboratory-esque posts with a review of Darkstar Molten Metals. My discovery happened when I signed up to a subscription service called Asset Drop Co but there will be more on those guys and girls in a later post.


My only experience with metallics so far was using Liberator Gold which, despite being smeared into my desk still, I found worked fine yet was a little hard to manipulate. Darkstar's series is a different ballgame altogether. For starters the drop bottles make everything so much easier especially with metallic, there's no messing around with frantically shaking the bottle to try and get a smooth consistency and there's very little chance you'll spill any. The most important thing is of course how it looks on a model... 



These are a few of my Stormhost from the Soul Wars set. They are currently being used as Guinea pigs for different effects I'd like to achieve on a future project. To start I used the Molten Metals Aged Copper colour to basecoat any visible armour. Applying this was amazing, it reacts like regular paint and is easily moved around without clumping while still creating a really convincing shimmer. 



My initial thought was to then go back and edge highlight the armour to really make it pop, but by this point I'd had a few cups of coffee and was too impatient to not try out another copper colour. Instead of edge highlighting I wanted to try and make the armour even more aged by drybrushing, utilising the aged copper underneath and giving it a shinier copper tone over the top. 



Overall I'm completely in love with this paint series and will continue my experimentation. As you can see in photos (despite poor lighting) there's a great shine to the coat which I hadn't been able to achieve before. 



You can find darkstar paint here 

Check them out, and thanks for reading!

Arcane

0 comments:

Post a Comment