Asset Drop September + Stormcast

This month's Asset Drop Co discovery box has screamed value for money. With a total of nine products that you can combo with each other to create some stunning effects. Fortunately for me one of these happened to sync well with my stormcast theme and helped we achieve greater detail and realism. But before that I'll cover the other products that were included that I'm yet to play with.


Foundry Paint System isn't a company I've been aware of before and I'm always excited to try new paints and products so I can't wait to get into these. They came with three colours, Nipple Pink, Light Nipple Pink and Dark Nipple Pink. Stop laughing! My initial thought was that I'd be very limited to what I could use these for and they'd end up in the ever growing pile of paints I'm yet to open. After reading the guidebook that comes with each Asset Drop I found that they're especially good for naturally highlighting reds and will definitely come in handy when I get around to the stack of bloodbound I have at the bottom of Sprue Mountain.

 

Another newcomer to me is Colours of War. Not only do they come in a bad ass dropper bottle but the paint itself has an amazing consistency when used. The set of three included Dark Leather, Sicily Yellow and Motherland Earth, I used mainly Motherland Earth with a splash of Dark Leather. My main use for these was to dry brush a few shields to give them a war-torn dirty look, not so much so that it completely masked the copper’s sheen but enough to make them look like they had been mud wrestling. However the guide didn’t stop there on this weathered look…

 

Ammo of Mig Jimenez Gun Metal pigment and Alclad II Warpigs Mud pigment are an almost symbiotic duo that provide the finishing touches to an already convincing weathering technique. I felt that applying the pigment with my fingers was a messy but effective method and helped the pigment to really stick down in the different recesses. My first step was to add spots of gun metal and then apply streaks of mud over the top, I found that if I applied too much it was easy to just grab a small dry brush and gently flick off the excess. 



Any observant bystander can see the above doesn't look like the shield of a mud wrestler. After the success of the weathering technique I decided to tamper some more and see if I could pull off a verdigris rust effect in spot areas on the armor and weaponry. This isn't because I was unhappy with the mud and gun metal, I have use for a verdigris rust effect in my next army build and applying it onto dirt and rust felt like the right time to experiment. There are still patches left open where you can see a dirty copper and I think the mix of both gives off the desired weathered theme. 



As always I'm happy to receive constructive criticism and am keen to hear opinions 

Arcane

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Good to hear you found a use for most of the items in your box!

    ReplyDelete