My First (mini) Army

Hello again!

I've been itching to finally sit down and document the completion of my very first set! Now it's taken a lot longer than I expected (roughly four months) to finish this to an acceptable standard but I'm proud of the final outcome and would love to go over what I learnt in the process and things I will definitely avoid next time.

Assembly and priming:

I foolishly went into this thinking that painting would be the only difficult part and attempted to auto-mode the assembly. This in turn lead to a lot of failed attempts with knock off super glue that left a few warriors with slanted spears and disjointed shoulders. A little bit of research always goes a long way and I quickly learnt that using a plastic glue such as Citadels own or Revells Contacta were the go to solutions as they actually fuse together the plastic rather than providing a bonding agent.



Priming didn't provide too many complications,
I went with a simple Corax White coat to try and brighten the colours and ensured I didn't drown the models in it. One thing I would try and avoid next time is fully assembling some of the more intricate miniatures as priming in between all the shields and fancy feathers was a nightmare.

Painting and basing:

Now the reason this set took months to complete is because I was dreading painting my lizard babies, they'd become part of my desk and secured a space in my heart which I didn't want to destroy by giving them a bad paint job. This is the wrong mindset to be in. A wonderful piece of advice I received was this "just throw the paint on and get it done". And that's exactly what I did, I stopped procrastinating and just threw paint onto every piece of empty scales I could find.



By doing this I learnt more than I would have if I took several hours to perfectly finish each miniature. For instance never use your paint brush to scoop paint onto your pallet, this will clog the ferrule and in turn make you curse the fact you've ruined several nice paint brushes...totally unrelated to me, I wasn't foolish enough to burn through seven brushes on my first build. I think the most enjoyable aspect for me was learning to drybrush and detailing the saurus. Drybrushing took me a few attempts to get right as I kept leaving too much paint on the brush, I doubted the tutorials I found when they said to wipe 90% of paint off the brush but it really is the case and once you get used to the technique it's very rewarding.



The whole project was a great experience and since completion I've started my Stormcast models so expect some wip photos of those this week. Thanks for reading.

Arcane




0 comments:

Post a Comment